The Student Disability Plan provides you with long-term income protection if you are unable to work due to a disability. This is a tax-free benefit.
- Choose either $1,000 or $1,500 per month coverage; this amount will remain in effect throughout medical school
- Open enrolment occurs September 1st to October 31st each year
- If you are a student, you may apply for coverage without providing medical evidence during this period
- No pre-existing condition clauses exist to limit or exclude your disability claim
- The elimination period—the time between when you become disabled and when your disability payments begin—is 90 days; reduced to 30 days when you join PARIM (residents) plan
- Coverage automatically continues through Doctors Manitoba PARIM plan or member plan when you graduate—you don’t have to reapply
- Optional features including Cost of Living protection and Future Insurance are available subject to evidence of good health
The Student Disability Plan requirements and optional coverage are the same as the Doctors Manitoba Plan described in the Disability Income section. However, there is no partial disability coverage in the student plan. This becomes available upon joining the PARIM plan or becoming a Doctors Manitoba member.
- Coverage is not subject to proof of good health if you enrol during the open enrolment period
- The plan is not-for-profit, and a you could receive a rebate of your premiums if the total claims and expenses are less than the total premiums